Monday, June 25, 2012

THE IMMENSITY OF THE INTIMACY OF GOD !

Once a month, in our evening services,  I  preach  on a Psalm. The Psalms are not only the  Praise book  of  the Bible, but  they also  contain wonderful counsel, comfort and perspective  for  believers. Since our evening service  is  mostly attended by believers, I use this time to encourage the saints in their walk with God.    
This past Lord’s day I preached on  Psalm 139 , and I entitled  the sermon: How intimately does God know you?  I wanted our people  to  appreciate  the “immensity  of the intimacy” of God.
David  writes:
[139:1] O LORD, you have searched me and known me! [2] You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.[3] You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. [4] Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.[5] You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. [6] Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. (Psalm 139:1-6 ESV)

God searches us and He knows us. David says that the knowledge of God  extends  to  four areas:
1.  all our  movements, [v.2a] “You know when I sit down and when I rise up”.
2.  all our thoughts: [v.2b] "you discern my thoughts from afar." God knows more than our actions. He knows our inner life; our secret thoughts. He  knows  what  our thoughts have been, what they now are, what they will be.  He who has made  our mind knows what  our  thoughts will be at all times.  Because this is so, God knows  what will  happen in the  future, since  He knows the thoughts of  all men.  He can know our thoughts, without being the Author of them.
3.  all our actions: [v.3] "You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways."  He knows my every step; my every   private  or public action – at all times!
4. all our words: [V.4] "Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.”   God knows what  I am  going to say , even before I say it.

The DNA molecule
Nothing may be concealed before God – either good or bad.  A sobering thought!
No wonder that  David says in v.5:  “You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.”  David is boxed in! Such knowledge may be very intimidating, but not for David! The  thought of being  so intimately known by God  is a comforting thought  to him.
This is precisely what he expresses in v.6: "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it."
David marvels at the depth of God’s  intimate knowledge of him. Of course,  when we ponder this, we remember that  David as yet had no  information  about the  intricacies of the DNA molecule. The DNA molecule  contains  every single detail or information about us. It is an entire  program of what we are, describing  every part of our being into every detail. The God who has made you, and who knows you has planned you into the finest detail.

So if you want to think about the immense  intimacy  of God, think  of  the DNA molecule. I can do no better  than repeat  what I  once heard  Dr Werner Gitt  (a German  Information Scientist and a  committed creationist)   say  on this matter,  a number of years ago,  when he  spoke at  our church.   

Dr Werner Gitt
How much information does DNA carry?
  
Dr. Gitt points out that the DNA molecule has the highest density (storage capacity) of information of any system known to man.  As an illustration, he shows a small 32mm x 33mm slide on which the entire Bible is printed.  That is amazing enough.  But Dr. Gitt points out that the DNA molecule has  7.7 million MILLION times more density of information than his 32mm slide. He points out that if you took just one pinhead of genetic material and converted all of its information into text, it would fill so many books that if you were to stack them up, the stack of books would be 500 times the distance from the earth to the moon!
The storage capability of DNA is nothing short of mind-boggling.
But as it turns out, the most crucial thing of all about DNA isn’t the molecule itself, it’s the information that it carries.  Without that information, DNA is a dead molecule.  Again, it’s important to keep in mind that the information carried by DNA does not reside in the molecule itself.  That information exists independently and separately from the physical medium of DNA.  In many ways, it’s similar to the ink on your newspaper.  Ink does not posses any information in and of itself.  Ink that is simply spilled onto a sheet of paper cannot arrange itself into information.  In order to get an intelligible message, information must be imposed upon the ink by an intelligent source outside of it, who already has that information in his or her mind.

This is the God  who has made you , and who knows you  which such immense  intimacy! 
Bow  down and worship , for this is your God!

No comments:

ON THE PURPOSE AND USE OF THE SPIRITUAL GIFTS IN THE CHURCH

  In the last century, particularly in the in the 1980’s and 90’s the subject of spiritual gifts was hotly debated. John Wimber (1934-1997)...