Yesterday (06/03/2014) the Namibian nation was called to prayer by our President in response to a series of cruel murders of young women by their boyfriends. We need to understand that these murders are symptomatic of what goes on in the heart of our people. A mere glimpse at the symptoms will not solve our problems . The church has two powerful weapons by which she mat help the country : (i) to preach the Word ( ii) to pray regularly for the spiritual health of the nation . To be sure, prayer for our country needs to be an ongoing work of the church .
Here are 5 foundational considerations for continued intercessory prayer :
1. Pray that God would give our churches the ability to see that the neglect of the Word of God and Prayer has indeed reaped grim rewards. We have believed the lies of humanism, and its doctrines that teach us to rely on the wisdom of man more than the wisdom of the Word of God. For this we need to repent.
2. Pray that our churches and nation would see that the most basic and foundational institution upon earth – covenantal marriage, the foundation of the family, is indeed God’s idea . This sacred institution has been spurned by our generation and thus has produced this social chaos in which we now find ourselves. For this we need to repent.
3. Pray that we would see that we have neglected our parental duties towards our children. Too many children in our country have grown up without godly nurture and instruction. Too many children nowadays grow up in single parent families, or are being raised by persons who are not their parents. We ought to repent that we have bought into modern humanistic values that forbid the parent to discipline their child in biblical love.
4. Pray that the Namibian church would wake up from its non - commitment to the authority of God’s Word, and that preachers would arise to fearlessly proclaim the whole counsel of God, speaking the truth in love. Pray that God would forgive the church for her many sins and restore her ( 2 Chronicles 7:14)
5. Pray that the Namibian government would have the wisdom to keep all immoral and subversive forces out of the land, and to firmly punish all evil doers and murderers appropriately and in such a way so as to discourage any further acts of violence.