Friday, June 5, 2020

EVALU(wait) BEFORE YOU SPEAK !


The social media  sorely tempt  many people whose tendency is  to let their emotions  fly off the handle without  properly evaluating  the consequences of  their  angry words. 

I see this sort of behaviour frequently on  the social media in general,  and I  dare say that  it has unhelpfully contributed  to the current  racial tensions, world wide, in the wake of the  murder (what else can we call it?)  of  George Floyd  in the USA. 

In the Bible, the book of James helpfully  warns  us concerning the  huge damage our tongues can cause... 

"How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue  is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell..." (James 3:5-6).

The book of Proverbs likewise has a lot of instruction and warning on the use of the tongue. We do well to rehearse the truths  contained in this book of wisdom. Here are a few samples...
  • Proverbs 10:11  The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth  of the wicked conceals violence.
  • Proverbs 10:18,19  The one who conceals hatred has lying lips and whoever utters slander is a fool. When words are many, transgression is not  lacking, but whoever  restrains  his lips is prudent.
  • Proverbs 11:12  Whoever belittles his neighbour lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.
  • Proverbs 12:19 Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment
  • Proverbs 18:8 The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels; they go down to the inner parts of the body.
  • Proverbs 18:13  If one gives an answer before he hears,  it is his folly and shame.
I came across this  helpful article  by  Alan Jacobs [1]. These  are  some helpful  rules to  govern our tongue,  helping us  to  think before  we speak or act. 

May it help me and you to be careful with our words. 
  • I don’t have to say something just because everyone around me is.
  • I don’t have to speak about things I know little or nothing about.
  • I don’t have to speak about issues that will be totally forgotten in a few  weeks or months by the people who at this moment are most strenuously    demanding a response.
  • I don’t have to spend my time in environments that press me to speak without knowledge.
  • If I can bring to an issue heat, but no light, it is probably best that I remain silent. Private communication can be more valuable than public.



No comments:

ON THE PURPOSE AND USE OF THE SPIRITUAL GIFTS IN THE CHURCH

  In the last century, particularly in the in the 1980’s and 90’s the subject of spiritual gifts was hotly debated. John Wimber (1934-1997)...